Monday, April 15, 2013

Practice finger tutorial

 I have been missing for a few days because I was getting a bunch of future post together. I have a few tutorials that are done and ready to be posted. A few haul days and a few mail calls. Also I received  some polishes for review so that will be coming up as well. Today I am going to show you a tutorial and a mini mail call.

I ordered practice fingers from ebay I mentioned them in my steals and deals posting  last week. I got 10 for like 3 bucks. Well I am still pretty new to all this and didn't realize that there were 2 kinds of fingers. I got the ones that you cant really glue a tip to I guess they are more for nail forms. I am no wear near that level yet. I figured they were useless to me but after some thinking and looking at them I figured out a way to use them with tips or full well nails and be able to remove your work in one piece with out any damage. As you know the fingers have that hump in the middle of the nail bed, and you cant really use the fake nails with them. Here is what you do to be able to use any nails that you have and save your work.


Supplies:
Very simple supplies for this one.
practice finger
Any rough nail file you have lying around. I used one from a 4 pack that I got at the dollar store.
Nail glue
Nail tips. I found that size 3 tips worked the best for what I had on hand.
This is a very simple process. Take your practice finger and find the highest part of the hum, then take your file and file it down so that it is flatter giving it a more natural look. It doesn't take much to get it where you need  it, so don't go crazy. Keep checking every so often, you don't want it to get to flat.
The left is the one I did the right the original. As you can see it is flatter and mor4 natural looking but not way flat still has a little curve to it.
Just another comparison shot.

The next part is all preference. Like I said I found that size 3 tips worked the best for me. I have no full well nails so I could not find the size for them.
Place glue on the nail tip in the well and a little past it onto the actual tip.

Push the tip into the grove a little so that the end is in there. You can go as far back or as forward as you like as long as the end is in the well completely. Apply pressure to the nail tip so that it bonds to the finger. Some time you may need to do this twice. Once the glue is dry you now have a finger with a nail that you can work on, file do what ever you need to do.

When you are done with your nail art just apply upward pressure under the nail give a little wiggle and it pops right out. No damage to your art and your finger is ready for another go.

I am sure there are a million ways to do this. I just used what I had on hand and figured it out that way. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to contact me. :)

2 comments:

  1. But how do you hold the finger while polishing? It seems very weird to hold and even worse when applied to a table with the bottom side tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, your explanation is so easy to follow. X

    ReplyDelete